Gå til innhold

Boyd Coddington er død

Ranger emnet

Anbefalte innlegg

boydinshop_250-op.jpg

We just got word that world-renowned car customizer, Boyd Coddington died this morning around 6 am. Although we don't have any details on what caused Coddington's death, we do know that he was in and out of the hospital over the past month. A spokesperson for the Coddington Corporation confirmed his passing earlier today and they'll be releasing a statement soon.

Our heartfelt condolences to his friends, family and fans.

et meget trist tap for alle hotroddere og bilintereserte!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Svar 47
  • Created
  • Siste svar

Top Posters In This Topic

World-renowned tuner and hot rod king Boyd Coddington died at 6:20 am this morning. The cause of death is still unknown. Coddington, founder of Boyds Wheels and designer of prize-winning custom cars, had recently been hospitalized twice for an undisclosed medical condition. Although he was though to be in recovery, rumors of his untimely death began circulating today throughout the forums. A spokesperson for Boyd Coddington's corporation has confirmed to Jalopnik that those rumors are true. The company will be releasing a statement later today.

UPDATE: Boyd Coddington, Remembered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read More:

Boyd Coddington, Remembered

Jalopy Journal Goes Renegade, Another Beige Roadster Last Straw

The Norman Timbs Buick Special

12:07 PM ON WED FEB 27 2008

BY MATT HARDIGREE

Comment

Tagged:

BOYD CODDINGTON, BOYD CODDINGTON DEAD, BOYD CODDINGTON IS DEAD, BOYD WHEELS, HOT RODS

by graverobber at 12:17 PM Holy crap! That's awful news. The world has lost a true artist. Who is Foose going to hate on now?

Flag by Morphine at 12:19 PM

RIP

Do you suppose Chrome got him Home?

Flag by Al Navarro at 12:22 PM I loved his work (much more than Foose's), but he seemed to be kind of mean to his staff on the show.

But as they say, the good is oft interred with their bones.

RIP.

Flag by ƂƵЯ at 12:23 PM Wow, it was like only a minute ago that we were ridiculing his creations.

Flag by Duffman at 12:23 PM Not sure what to say. It's sad that he died and I feel for his family. Plus I don't need anymore bad Karma so I will stop there.

Flag by Bret at 12:23 PM

His creativity helped elevate the art of the American hot rod to the mainstream.

I'll be doing a burnout for Boyd ont he way home tonite.

Flag by vr6john at 12:27 PM I didn't like his designs that much and they certainly portrayed him as an asshole on the show, but I do appreciate a highly contributing passionate rodder...

Flag by Rod Standing at 12:29 PM

RIP Boyd

Flag by 2slo4u at 12:29 PM i wonder if exposure to the Tulsa Plymouth push him over the edge.

RIP Mr Coddington.

Flag by Al Navarro at 12:30 PM @ƂƵЯ:

As they say at Gawker, "And now he's dead."

Flag by smalleyxb122 at 12:31 PM

You can only build so many '32 Fords before it kills you.

Over the years, his work has become a cliche of what "custom" means.

That speaks volumes for what he accomplished. He was a founding father of the "modern" hot rod.

He leaves quite a legacy.

Flag by LandofID at 12:32 PM

Coddington and Buckley on the same day....Never really liked the final creations of either....but lots of credit is due for both acting upon their dreams.

Flag by acarr260 at 12:33 PM

Regardless of if you liked his creations, I feel that he furthered the hotrod culture that he embraced. RIP, Boyd. Godspeed.

Flag by CEman at 12:35 PM

@Duffman:

Right on Duffman.

God's Speed Boyd

Flag by bjkilleen at 12:35 PM Boyd not only shaped this industry, but he did it with a level of creativity and style that many builders today have copied. He always treated us at BUILD BOOK well, and was a great man. Our hearts and thoughts go out to Jo and his boys. We will always be grateful to Boyd for the ride.

Flag by やのГ人Я at 12:37 PM

I guess his last Ship of Theseus fraud has sailed.

R.I.P. to the Hard Core Hot Rodder.

Flag by DrJeffie at 12:42 PM

Holy fuck...I'm 63

Flag by JeannieGrrl at 12:45 PM That man was an American icon.

Godspeed Boyd.

Burn a strip.

Flag by やのГ人Я at 12:49 PM

@DrJeffie: You're fucked, buddy!

Flag by acarr260 at 12:50 PM

@Bret: I think we should all do a burnout for Boyd tonight as we leave work.

Flag by Fitty7lax at 12:51 PM I can see Lingenfelter and Boyd up there laying rubber on His own quarter mile strip. Godspeed Boyd, you will be missed.

Flag by Corvette_Thunder at 12:51 PM

Wasn't really a fan of his art either, but I did appreciate the passion he shared for cars (im sure we all can). Hope hes doing some smoky burnouts somewhere right now.

Flag by p3p3 at 12:55 PM Godspeed Good Sire.

Flag by やのГ人Я at 01:01 PM

@acarr260: ...Al Gore will drop next if we do that....

Hmmmmm!

Flag by Mannen Jan at 01:02 PM Oh! Sad news. Well you were a great man.......Sad news indeed

Flag by AllenK at 01:04 PM

RIP Boyd!

It's a sad day IMO!

Flag by Mad_Science at 01:08 PM Most of his work was the antithesis of what I like, but knowing what you don't want is as important as what you do.

Say what you want about the guy (we all have), but you know you would've traded jobs with him in a second.

RIP

Flag by danio3834 at 01:11 PM

RIP indeed

Flag by -chet at 01:11 PM

Wow. That's a shock.

Flag by Bento at 01:15 PM

@acarr260: Tough to do in an Xterra, So instead I will raise a pint of Newcastle to him tonight knowing he is in HotRod Heaven already swaping ideas with Ed Roth on what to do to with a Honda 800 coupe.

Flag by mkeenly at 01:15 PM I'm saddened by this also. I've been familiar with him for a long time and enjoyed the TV show.

I think he was quite reasonable to his workers. He ran his company like a startup, which can mean longer hours in crunch time.

He was also good at nurturing young talent and gave many kids without direction an opportunity to work on some of the best hot rod projects out there.

I didn't always agree with the style of his designs, but the quality and workmanship was top notch.

Rest in peace, Boyd.

Flag by beercheck at 01:21 PM

I don't have anything nice to say, so

Flag by BustedWheel at 01:22 PM

I finally got my Tivo to stop recording that show.

Either way, sorry to see him go.

Flag by BustedWheel at 01:23 PM

Wait, now who is going to try to start the next Belvedere that has been burried in Mud for 50 years?

Flag by TomAnderson at 01:27 PM Wow. Although I can't say I admired him, ya gotta give him props for exposing hot rodding to mainstream America.

Also, I gotta ask, why no mention of the passing of another giant of the pistonhead universe, Paul Frere?

Flag by Mikeee at 01:30 PM He got angry one too many times on his shows and blew a the worn gasket while idling.

At least at the Teutul's place they seems to derive enjoyment from the yelling and throwing around of things.

Flag by plazma at 01:33 PM He probably died cause of that annoying wife of his.. i hated her.. she thought she was so hot, but was just a cyst in the workers sides.

Or maybe he died early for working his workers to death and being an ass to them.

No wonder Chip Foose gave him the middle finger years ago and all of his workers quit or left to go work for Chip.

Chip is a bit overplayed now, but he is way better than Boyd. Im not sad to see him gone.

Flag by plazma at 01:35 PM I also wonder... are they going to bury him in one of those tacky tourist shirts he always wore.

Flag by weirdnjfan1 at 01:36 PM He's building hot rods for god now. RIP Boyd.

Flag by 7Seven at 01:39 PM RIP Boyd.

Chezoom has always been in my own Fantasy Garage.

Flag by Scroggzilla at 01:41 PM

1st Myron Cope (longtime voice of the Pittsburgh Steelers), then William F Buckley, and now Boyd. The rule of 3's...still valid.

Flag by daveconrey at 01:44 PM That's heavy. End of an era.

Flag by RoninianHoon at 01:45 PM This is proof stress kills...

He was a man on a mission, one of those guys who fiendishly tired to top/better what they last accomplished. I bet it was a lot of stress trying to top his own greatness...

R.I.P. Boyd, you accomplished your mission you will forever be remembered. 'raises glass'

Flag by htrodblder at 01:45 PM

Haters or not, you have to give the guy credit for bringing the high end billet Street Rod to the market. Him and Lil John Buttera were the ones who really started in all in the late 80's. Having meet the guy on several occasions he always seemed to be somebody who hated the limelight, and just wanted to build cars.

Rest In Pease Mr Coddington, we will miss your work.

Flag by Isetta at 01:46 PM

I almost fell out of my chair. This is tragic, not too many of the old guard left. I saw him at the SEMA show and met Gene Winfield as well. I really enjoyed his show, he could suggest something (a design detail or color) that you thought would look like crap but it always worked. A real loss. I hope his shop will carry on.

Flag by Buckster at 01:48 PM

Not a big fan but still sad to see him go.

@graverobber: Who is left to hate Foose now?

Flag by acarr260 at 01:48 PM

@やのГ人Я: Is that a promise? If so, I'll do a burnout as I leave work and then when I get home (my old 4x4 sounds way meaner doing a burnout with 12.5" A/T tires).

Flag by BERGSTROMSPHOTOGRAPHY at 01:49 PM

THAT'S BEST PICTURE WE EVER TOOK OF BOYD,

HE'S BEEN AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL!

IN HOTRODDING AND COMMUNITY SERVICE HE LEAD THE WAY.

WE WILL TRULY MISS HIS CARS, HIS LAUGHTER AND HIS FRIENDSHIP.

Flag by Number_Six at 01:50 PM

@TomAnderson: Wow, I had no idea. He was one of my heroes when I was young. At 91, it's a solid run he had. What a life and career.

Flag by cuethedanger at 01:53 PM I went to the elementary school right across from Boyd's shop in Stanton, CA. Every year he was our principal for the day and held a free car show. A car show full of hysterical, sticky-handed overstimulated kids - pretty brave.

It's sad to know the big man with the beard and shiny sunglasses is no longer with us.

I'm glad I got to meet him several times and hopped in one of his cars when I was in that school.

So here's to you Boyd, thanks for the memories, thanks for the school money, and most of all thanks for displaying all your cars across the street from where I played. I know who to thank for my unsatiable love of cars.

Flag by acarr260 at 01:55 PM

@Bento: Really? It won't do a burnout? My '87 Chevy (stock 305 with FI, lifted with 33's and still not re-geared) will still do a burnout. I'm now glad that I didn't buy that Xterra a year ago - I came very close to signing the papers.

Flag by racerx at 01:59 PM @TomAnderson:

Yes, I know! Frere was incredible. He was an excellent writer, driver and engineer. RIP Paul.

Flag by Bento at 01:59 PM

@acarr260: I have the Off Road package with the 6 speed manual....I never tried for fear of ruining tires that cost $200 a piece to replace!

Flag by Castagere at 02:00 PM That's sad. I liked the show, and some of his stuff was pretty groovy.

Rip

Flag by RoninianHoon at 02:01 PM @BERGSTROMSPHOTOGRAPHY: dude not to steal your THUNDER but I think your keyboard is broken...

Flag by strange_one at 02:03 PM

Dr.Jeffie, amen to that 63 is in my rear view mirror a few miles back

Flag by suzq044 at 02:29 PM RIP Boyd; Wasn't particularly a fan of the tight deadlines/management style that he seemed to have on the show; but otherwise, pretty good quality work.

Flag by MustaineGT at 02:30 PM

The man was a genius. RIP.

Flag by smokeydog001 at 02:37 PM

Not only did he excell at what he did, he did what he loved. Few of us can say that.

Flag by Bluegoose at 02:44 PM A legend has passed..RIP.

Flag by Chillking2008 at 02:45 PM

Rest In Peace, Mr. Coddington. We will miss you.

Flag by acarr260 at 03:14 PM

@Bento: My "off road" truck has 33x12.5x15 A/T's under it. I paid well over $200 each (but they're very aggressive). They make a sweet sound compared to car tires. :) I would imagine that it's hard on the drivetrain too (but my old Chevy is the Custom Deluxe with Dana components from the factory).

Flag by m3_of_doom at 03:15 PM

All I can say is wow...now there was a man who loved his chrome...a lot...like a lot, a lot

God Speed...this Jack Danny's for you...

Flag by Packa at 03:36 PM

I had never heard of him before he showed up at the Plymouth Belevedere ceremonies in Tulsa -- something about that guy creeped me out from the minute he set foot on state. Suddenly the entire event was... er... about him... and no longer about the Belvedere.

As lame as that event turned out, there was something special about its potential -- which Coddington horned in on to further cement his 15 minutes of fame.

No disprespect intended -- he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Flag by snarktastic at 04:03 PM Good night, funnyman.

This is a sad day, Boyd was a true character and brought a lot of attention to that part of the car world. Whether or not you appreciate the man's taste, you have to admit that he did a lot for mainstream exposure of hotrodding and customization. My personal favorite of his cars was the Whatthehaye, that was a badass ride.

I liked his show for the most part, but the tension did get a little old after a while. After watching his show for a couple of years, I'd venture to guess it was his heart that let go.

Flag by at 02/27/08 04:09 PM Post a comment

Login with your username and password below. New User?

username: password:

Forgot your username or password?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archives About Advertising Legal Help

Consumerist Deadspin Defamer Fleshbot Gawker Gizmodo Gridskipper Idolator io9 Jalopnik Jezebel Kotaku Lifehacker Valleywag Wonkette

Opel Omega 3000 24v Irmscher 1990

Opel Omega Steinmetz 3.0 24v++ 1994

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider